League of Friends
Walton Community Hospital

The League of Friends

Hospital

The History of The League of Friends

In the days before the NHS and the League of Friends, the hospital was funded by the local community. Money from collection boxes around the town, colections in churches, fairs, fetes and sales, entertainments, gifts and payments by patients.
These people were in effect the first "Friends".
In 1933 a hospital fete was held in the grounds of Danesfield school. It began with a carnival procession through Walton, Hersham and Oatlands. There were stalls and competitions, a dog show, dance exhibition, a balloon race and fortune telling. The funding gained was essential to the operation of voluntary hospitals like Walton.
Activities 1965 1965 was a very busy year for the Friends with a huge summer fair and lots of other social activities for fund raising.
Crowds in 1965 Cooks Tent 1965 Nurses Stall 1965 Tombola 1965 From 1973 to 2002, Walton Hospital summer fete was held at the Halfway Green in Walton.
Click on a mini picture to see a larger version
Hospital in 1993 In 1993 the hospital moved to its present location and had two wards - Hersham and Oatlands each with 18 beds, also a minor injuries and X-RAY department. Shortly after the move was completed work began to add a third ward - Burwood designed for the elderly mentally frail. At the end of 2004 the hospital was extended to allow for ten extra beds.